Does your dog regularly suffer from ear infections, or is he constantly scratching a never-ending itch? These are among the common symptoms dogs suffering from yeast infections portray.
Moreover, some foods can worsen the condition. Hence you must switch your dog’s diet to foods that don’t have the problematic ingredients to help your dog live a happier, healthy life.
This post lists some of the best foods to help lower yeast production in dogs battling such infections.
We will also offer tips on what to consider before purchasing your canine anti-yeast foods.
Let’s get to it...
What is a yeast infection?
Malassezia Dermatitis, commonly known as yeast infection, is a type of skin infection that usually occurs when there is excessive production of Malassezia, a naturally occurring bacteria.
A yeast infection makes your dog uncomfortable and irritable, and if you don’t take immediate action, it can lead to deafness.
Golden retrievers and other dogs with floppy ears are especially prone to yeast infections, for the dark, moist ear canal is an ideal bacteria breeding ground.
Additionally, dogs having droopy skin like Basset hounds, Shar-pies, and Bloodhounds can quickly develop yeast infections.
Symptoms of a yeast infection
It’s easy to notice if your canine has a yeast infection. Below are some of the primary symptoms you should look out for
- Loss of hearing and balance
- Hair loss, especially on the upper back, tail, and around the ears
- Regular head tilting and shaking
- Extreme or recurrent ear infections
- Brown, yellow or bloody discharge
- Foul smelling odor with a peculiar smell from their usual scent
- Circular-shaped sores on the skin
- Flaky or crusty skin around the infected area somewhat resembles dandruff. The skin color in that area can also change and become red, pink, black, or grey for advanced infections.
- Intense skin itching, redness, and swelling accompanied by plenty of scratching. Your dog can even start odd behaviors like rubbing his bum on the floor to get some relief.
As a pet parent, you must learn how to properly clean your pets’ ears with a dog ear cleaner.
Keeping your dog’s ears clean is the most effective way of preventing reoccurring yeast infections that, in turn, cause severe ear infections.
Additionally, putting your canine on a diet that reduces yeast outbreaks is a crucial step in the fight against yeast infections.
Best dog foods for yeast infections
Below is a list of the top anti-yeast dog foods. We have something for you regardless of your preferences, budget, or severity of your pups’ symptoms.
Racheal Ray Nutrish Natural Chicken and Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food
People often question the simplicity of this diet, but you will be surprised by its immense benefits.
Firstly, this dog food doesn’t contain potatoes, eggs, fillers, wheat, or wheat gluten, all of which are the causes of bacteria growth and, consequently, yeast infections.
Moreover, your canine benefits from quality proteins, healthy fats, chelated minerals, and vitamin supplements.
- Utilizes farm-raised chicken
- Doesn’t have the common allergens like dairy and grains
- Limited ingredients
- Fats from the chicken provide omega fatty acids that support glowing and healthy skin.
- Contains vitamins and minerals to ensure a balanced and complete diet.
- Relatively lesser calorie and protein content (though this can be advantageous if you have neutered, indoor, or spayed dogs)
Zignature Zssential Multi-Protein Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Zignature has built a solid reputation for providing dog food tailored to meet specific canine needs.
The company’s Multiprotein Formula Grain–free dog food is an ideal example.
This food doesn’t have any ingredients that would trigger a yeast outbreak. It also provides a high protein level from lamb, salmon, duck, and turkey meals.
- Gluten and grain free
- Limited ingredients
- Numerous protein sources
- Utilizes fresh vegetables
- Contains plenty of requisite minerals and vitamins
- A diverse nutrient composition due to the multiple quality protein sources
- Has omega fatty acids, which promote a healthy coat and skin
- Lacks the yeast-causing ingredients such as starchy grains
- Fresh vegetables and fruits like blueberries, carrots, and cranberries support digestive health, immunity, and urinary tract.
- Has flaxseed which is a contentious ingredient
- Might be costly if you are on a budget
Natures Recipe Grain- Free Salmon, Sweet Potato &Pumpkin Recipe Dry Dog Food
This is perhaps the most affordable anti-yeast dog food, with numerous premium protein sources.
Moreover, the food incorporates vegetables with low glycemic values and fiber, like pumpkins and sweet potatoes.
- Has real salmon as the primary ingredient
- Sweet potatoes and pumpkin provide your dog with energy
- Suitable for adult dogs
- Its grain free and has no wheat, soy, or corn
- Has added vitamins and minerals for an active and healthy life
- Real salmon facilitates muscle development and growth
- Provides well-balanced nutrients as it contains all the essential vitamins and minerals
- Contains antioxidants that boost your canine’s immunity
- Has adequate fatty acids
- A somewhat fishy smell which some mutts may not like
Instinct By Natures Variety Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe
Apart from being low carb, this dog food lacks potatoes, gluten, and grains and has easily digestible grass-fed lamb, which is also the primary protein source.
All the above factors make this dog food preferable for dogs with allergies and those battling yeast infections.
- Grass-fed lamb
- No artificial additives
- Limited ingredients
- A nice flavor
- Lamb meal provides proteins and also aids digestion
- Perfect for dogs that have allergies as it has only one protein source
- Contains antioxidants and omega-fatty acids, which make your dog’s coat healthier
- Has natural ingredients like fresh fruits, real meat, and vegetables, making it suitable for dogs with yeast problems
- Some canines may not enjoy the lamb flavor.
The Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Turkey Recipe Dehydrated Dog Food.
You can’t talk about quality canine foods without including the Honest Kitchen. The company makes dog foods using ingredients similar to what humans consume.
This dog food is not only free of GMO ingredients, grains, preservatives, and starchy grains; it also contains minimal carbohydrates.
- Gluten and grain free
- Only natural ingredients
- Constitutes fresh vegetables and fruits
- Additional vitamins which bolster your pup’s immunity helping to fight yeast infections
- Made from natural ingredients
- Has no artificial ingredients or by-products
- Provides your dog with all the required nutrients
- Needs cautious preparation; too much or little water could affect its effectiveness.
Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain Lamb & Blueberry Adult Dry Dog Food
This dog food suits dogs with pre-existing allergies and reoccurring yeast infections.
- Plenty of antioxidants
- Lacks by-products and artificial additives
- Uses lamb as the principal ingredient
- Contains few glycemic components; thus, it won’t raise your mutt’s sugar levels.
- Has minerals and vitamins that strengthen your dog’s immunity
- Uses a lean protein source
- Some dogs don’t like the product’s relatively strong smell.
Earthborn Holistic Venture Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Rabbit Meal & Pumpkin Dry Dog Food.
This dog food is made from fine rabbit meal as the primary protein source and contains various nutrients which support your mutt’s overall wellbeing.
- Lacks fillers, GMO components, glutens, and by-products
- Contains minimal starch
- Supplemented with the required minerals and vitamins
- Utilizes limited premium ingredients
- Uses rabbit meat which is a lean protein source
- Doesn’t contain any of the regular allergens that could affect dogs with sensitive bellies
- It has a musty smell which some dogs may not like
Factors to consider when buying anti-yeast Dog food
When looking for anti-yeast canine nutrition, you should avoid any food that has
- Excess amounts of corn syrup
- Starchy vegetables like peas and potatoes
- Artificial additives
How Safe Guard can help cure yeast infections
You can use probiotics to prevent your dog from developing yeast infections and even treat the condition.
Probiotics introduce a lot of beneficial bacteria into your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. The beneficial bacteria work to overwhelm and then eliminate the excess harmful bacteria using short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs).
These short chain fatty acids limit the growth of toxic pathogens like Malassezia pachydermatis and E. coli which are the primary causes of yeast infections.
Safe Guard probiotic contains sufficient amounts of these healthy bacteria; thus, it’s an effective supplement for fighting yeast infections.
What’s more, by using Safe Guard probiotic, your canine won’t have to experience any of the side effects prescription medications can cause.
Though familiar, yeast infections are preventable.
All you have to do is regularly clean your dog’s ears, put him on an anti-yeast diet, supplement the diet with quality probiotics such as Safe Guard and watch your dog thrive.
Additionally, you should take your canine for regular vet visits, so the doctor can identify any infection and treat it before it causes significant issues.